Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sleep training

So I haven't writtten in a while...again. I keep meaning to, but keep putting it off because there is always something to do.

WI - After staying the same last week, I was really glad to lose 1 lb this week despite too much Halloween candy! I'm down 12.5 lbs and it feels nice to know I am doing something for myself. Before starting to lose weight, I was feeling myself getting depressive again and am glad I am on the path to wellness again.

Yesterday, I had decided to start going to bed early and to sticking to a set schedule, though knowing that that wouldn't work on it's own, I went and did some research and found lots of sites, and a friend of mine saying her doctor even told her this, that the key is not setting a get to bed time but a wake up time. Sit tight while I elaborate a little. Apparently, the important thing is getting up at the same time everyday, even on weekends, and listening to your sleepiness signals. It comes with the warning that you might have ups and downs in your tiredness levels for the first week, but after a while, they'll even out. Getting up at the same time everyday, right when your alarm rings, help to put your body in a pattern. Concentrating on the wake-up time is beneficial because as you do different activities during the day, your body won't need the same amount of rest, and then you just may end up sitting in bed, not being able to sleep. By concentrating on your sleepiness levels, you'll get the sleep you need more consistently, and even if you're tired after going to bed later than usual one night, you'll catch up the following day and feel refreshed.

Given all that information, I set my alarm for 6:30 this morning, but my DS woke us up at 6:15 whinning that he wasn't feeling well. All this to say, I started getting ready at 6:30 this morning and still wasn't ready to leave on time. Note that I am NEVER ready to leave the house when I should and I ALWAYS get to work late but just compensate with shorter lunches and no breaks, which is definitely not healthy. So tomorrow morning, and for a  few weeks (until I decide if I should get up ealier) I will be getting up at 6. Although I didn't prep my lunch this morning which is part of why I was late, I have been practicing getting that done at night also.

Lately, I am all aboutestablishing new routines. I've been feeling really scattered and feel that I need to get control over my life, and get away from the computer when I am not doing anything on there. For example, I will keep up with my forums and such, but not stay on browsing for nothing important after I am done.

Ok, so that's a lot of changes. I've also got more I want to do, but I don't want to tackle too much at once. Let's see how this works out. My goal is to get up, and say hello to my blog every morning in order to stay accountable (as I get on the computer to check the weather anyway). So if you notice there isn't a message around 6am, come kick me in the butt!

Ok. Enough of a break. Back to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment